EUROFER stainless and specialty steels team deals with the challenges and issues specific to the stainlesl steel sector. The stainless industry makes up about 4% of the total steel produced in the EU every year - about 6 million tonnes. These metals are often high value with a range of specific applications, some of which would be impossible without stainless or specialty steels created for the purpose.
EUROFER's stainless and specialty steels team focuses on:
- Promote the interests of stainless steel in all relevant activities within EUROFER.
- Represent the stainless steel industry vis-a-vis the European institutions, politicians and NGOs.
- Ensure the specific characteristics of stainless steel produced in Europe with regards to health and the environment are properly communicated to, and understood by, all stakeholders (including downstream users and consumers).
- Ensure the fundamental role of stainless steel in a sustainable society are communicated properly and are widely known by all stakeholders (including downstream users and consumers).
- Take an active role in climate change policy, energy efficiency, environmental and chemical policy and related research initiatives.
- Gather, collate and disseminate market information and trade statistics relevant to the stainless steel industry.
- Gather and assess information on unfair third countries trade practices, prepare basic information towards the possible use of Trade Defence Instruments (Anti-Dumping, Anti-Subsidy, Safeguards, Trade Barrier Regulation), coordinate and act as an interface between complainants’ companies, law firms and DG Trade.
- Promote and secure sustainable access to raw materials sources for stainless steel industry.